Military History Tours Armistice Day and Advance to Victory (France) 7 - 12 November 2018
Armistice Day and Advance to Victory
Remembrance Day (11 November) marks the anniversary of the armistice which ended the First World War (1914–18). Each year Australians observe one minute silence at 11 am on 11 November, in memory of those who died or suffered in all wars and armed conflicts.
If you are looking for a meaningful way to commemorate the centenary of 11 November 1918 the date World War I officially ended, there is no better way than to go to the Somme for an occasion to mark the end of hostilities which decimated the area from 1916 to 1918. Villers-Bretonneux; a town with a strong connection to Australia after our troops recaptured it from the Germans in 1918, thus turning the tide of the German advance on Amiens and towards Paris; is the place.
Price: Tour from $2995.00 (6 days/ 5 nights) per person twin share, single supplement $550.00. (Price may vary due to volatility of the Australian Dollar on the international currency market.)
Included in the tour price:
Not included in tour price:
7 November 2018 – PARIS to THE SOMME:
Our tour departs for the Somme from our Paris hotel, at 0900. Guests are to be at the hotel by 0830 or, if arriving into CDG airport that morning, they will be met at the airport. After settling into our hotel in the Somme we will visit Peronne and the Historial Museum followed by a welcoming dinner in Peronne. B/D
8 November 2018 – THE SOMME:
After breakfast your coach will depart for the first of three days touring the Somme battlefields. Your Military Historian travelling with you will brief you during the day on events and the significance of the places you visit.
During the touring days you will visit many of the battle sites, memorials and cemeteries of the Somme and today we intend to visit, Amiens, Dernancourt, Sailly le Sec and Villers-Bretonneux. Dinner in our hotel. B/L/D
9 November 2018 – THE SOMME:
With your box lunch for sustenance, you will again be led through the Somme battlefields by your historian. Today it is our intention to visit Villers-Bretonneux again, to take you through the actions around the village then on to Le Hamel, one of the most successful Australian battles. The advance continues through Bayonvillers, Harbonnieres and Proyart where an heroic action resulted in the awarding of the Victoria Cross to Sergeant Percy Stratton of the 40th Battalion. Again, based on requirements, your Military Historian on board will aim to get you to places you need to visit. Our hospitality vehicles will support in this task. Dinner in our hotel. B/L/D
10 November 2018 – THE SOMME:
After breakfast you will set off again for your 3rd day of touring the Somme. We continue on the route of the advance through Mont St Quentin, another major victory to the Australians where we find the 2nd Division Memorial, Bellenglise, the 4th Division Memorial, Maissemy, a major German Cemetery, Bellicourt on the Hindenburg Line, the Riqueval Canal and finally at that last battle of Montbrehain. This is where where the Australian Corps under General Monash finished the War as they where taken out of the field on 5 October 1918 to rest and train. The War ended before they were required again. Dinner in our hotel. B/L/D
11 November 2018 – ARMISTICE DAY – THE SOMME:
We will leave this day clear at this time so that as we get closer to the time, we will be in a position to respond to any Government Service that is planned and be able then to attend any special Services that are being held in the Somme. B/L/D
12 November 2018 – THE SOMME to PARIS:
We return to Paris after breakfast as we say farewell to the Somme, but not before we visit Compiegne to see the actual site of the signing of the Armistice. There will be a couple of drop off points in Paris and they will be relayed to you at a later time. B
1. GENERAL: This tour has been prepared by Military History Tours (MHT).
2. Military History Tours (MHT), urges you to read the booking terms and conditions and contact us if you need any clarification. At the time of publishing this on the internet, the arrangements outlined in it, the price and the inclusions were all confirmed. However, MHT reserves the right to make amendments to the program and the price, should conditions beyond the control of MHT change.
3. DEPOSITS: A deposit of AUD $500.00 per person is required to secure a booking on the tour.
4. BOOKINGS: Bookings can be made direct with MHT. The registration form enclosed must reach MHT, together with the deposit, to secure a reservation.
5. FINAL PAYMENT AND CANCELLATIONS: Final payment will be required NLT 31 July 2018. Any cancellations prior to this date will be entitled to a full refund. After 31 July 2018 any cancellation will be subject to the cancellation policy of the hotels and other service providers. You should consider cancellation insurance if you believe you may have to cancel arrangements close to these dates.
6. TRAVEL DOCUMENTS: If you are travelling on an Australian passport, you will not need visas to visit France. However, we recommend that your passport has a minimum of 6 months validity at the time of your departure from Australia. If you are travelling on other than an Australian passport you should check with MHT on the requirements.
7. ACCOMMODATION: All hotels used in this tour are at least 3 and 4 star standard.
8. CHILDREN AND INFANTS: No deposits are required for children under 12 years of age. However, they should be detailed on the registration form so that appropriate accommodation is provided. The cost for children and infants, under 3, will be provided on request.
9. SPECIAL REQUESTS: Should you have special food requirements or a disability that will require special handling please detail it on the registration form.
10. INSURANCE: It is not acceptable for MHT to accept people on its tours who are not holding appropriate travel insurance.
11. INCLUSIONS AND EXCLUSIONS: A list of the inclusions and exclusions is included on the program.
12. TOUR CANCELLATION: MHT reserves the right to cancel this tour at any time prior to commencement should booking numbers be insufficient to cover costs. Should the tour be cancelled subject to this clause, all payments made to MHT will be refunded, less any funds not able to be recovered from suppliers.
13. SUMMARY: MHT has run battlefield tours for over 20 years. If you join this tour, MHT guarantee that should you have a specific Australian grave site to visit for family or other reasons, and providing it is registered with CWGC, we will make every effort to have you visit the site and have time to lay a wreath or poppy.
14. LAW OF CONTRACT: The contract for the "Armistice Day Centenary" tour is governed in all aspects by the law in the State of NSW and any legal action arising under the contract shall be litigated only in the appropriate court having jurisdiction in that state.